Monday, August 31, 2026

Summer Gift Ideas

The cover alone makes this book a great gift!
It is the perfect metaphor: the elegant tea scene,
the tea going all over the table. A short, sweet novel
about finally growing up, turning away from the past,
and giving birth to one’s self.
Also, some clever allusions to The Wizard of Oz.
~ 2004 ~

Both of these novels go back
a couple of decades, but still fun.

The title itself is truly inspired,
no matter how you feel about the rest of the story!
If an authentic sense of well being remains elusive,
then surely a false sense would make a perfect present!
~ 2001 ~

For something more current
The Correspondent
by Virginia Evans
Totally on trend as a book club selection, this would make a great present. So go ahead and surprise your friends with their own personal copy so they can remove their names from the library waitlist.
Favorite line:
I know you think of me as your mother only,
but please remember, inside I am also just a girl
.” (242)

Related Reading Guides
Book List & Character List

Also currently trending
to go along with summer blockbuster movie

Gotta catch 'em all
~ Thursday Murder Club ~ 1 - 5
A little on the silly side but well-written and quirky.
A boxed set always makes a nice gift!
Favorite lines from Richard Osman.

On the light-hearted side
(but meaningful)
Gerry & I enjoy all the poetry of Brian Bilston.

An American Classic
that I’ve been meaning to read forever.
Thanks Ray Bradbury!
Love this cover of Dandelion Wine!

One of my favorite books
“of all time” (pun intended, but also true).
The perfect existentialist present!
I have given Einstein's Dreams as a gift to many people,
including my sons Ben and Sam, a few Christmases back.
Sam started reading his a month or so ago,
and we have been texting back and forth
all summer with our favorite passages.

I’ve tried a couple of other Alan Lightman books,
but none of them give me goosebumps like this one does!
So many good passages. Deep and startling; also sad.

See also Saving Time & Spring ~ Time
Midnight & 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment