Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas: Past, Present, Future

Christmas Cross Stitch by Catherine Rose DeLong
~ Thanks Cate! ~


PAST
Favorite Christmas Stories:
A Collection of Christmas Stories, Poems and Legends
(1941)
compiled by Frances Cavanah; illustrated by Nellie H. Farnam

[including a selection from Ruth Sawyer's Roller Skates]

Thanks to my friend Katy Bunder and her daughter Emily for introducing me to this charming classic from Christmas Long Ago.

************************

Joy to the World: Christmas Legends (1944)
This Way to Christmas (1916)
The Wee Christmas Cabin of Carn - na - ween (1941)
all by Ruth Sawyer

So thrilled to belatedly discover the girlhood novel Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer -- thanks to my friend Nancy Tiederman. And, even better, to learn that like her character Lucinda (and like me!) Sawyer herself was a girl who just loved Christmas!

PRESENT
A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts:
Stories to Warm Your Heart and Tips to Simplify Your Holiday
(2008)
by Cathy Messecar, Terra Hangen, Trish Berg,
Karen Robbins, Leslie Wilson, Brenda Nixon

Many thanks to this group of authors for their fine example of how to enjoy Christmas Now, in presence and tranquility; and to Terra for her comment on last year's Christmas book blog!

FUTURE
Christmas: Festival of Incarnation
by Donald Heinz

My friend Megan McGinnis sent me this one for my birthday, back in May, so that I would have plenty to time to prepare my heart for Christmas Yet To Come!

1 comment:

  1. Well it was great to see the xstitch again! I love being your friend in books...I love being your friend!

    ReplyDelete